Which type of frame is most commonly used by leaders in my educational system?
I would say, at this point, that our system is more human resource oriented. I believe our "most important asset is our people" as quoted in Bolman & Deal. As mentioned in other blogs, our system worked deliberately over the summer with budgets and allotments. Even when other systems were passing out pink slips prior to the ending of the 2008-2009 school year, our system kept their cool and waited. Even though waiting was the most stressful route, in the end, they saved many positions.
I also believe that human resources is the frame most implemented due to the fact that professional development and best practices are emphasized and based on the needs of the stakeholders. Our system has purchased an innovative tool, Electronic Registrar On-Line or ERO, to replace the former Sea System in order to provide user-friendly access to staff development opportunities for both presenters and participants. Since "experience is the best teacher, but that is only true if you reflect on it and extract its lessons", the ERO system also allows participants to provide automatic feedback to the trainers. As a differentiation support trainer, I find this tool invaluable to future training sessions. We also incorporate half-day staff development opportunities throughout the school year. Larry Bell consulted with the entire school system during one of the county-wide professional development opportunities.
As outlined in Maslow's hierarchy of needs, we know that stakeholders value esteem, respect and recognition. Our system does a wonderful job highlighting accomplishments and services. Students, faculty and staff members are honored at the monthly school board meetings and our Superintendent hosts a weekly "Profiles" show on a local tv channel for the community to take note of accomplishments and services offered within the school system. In a busy society, leaders must search for innovative strategies to inform the public and other stakeholders of services and events and I believe that our system does a great job in this area.
In conclusion, I feel that all four frames are observed in all organizations, but I believe the HR frame is the most obvious in the school system where I work. Rather than telling people how to teach and/or lead, successful leaders must provide stakeholders with the tools and let them use the tools to create the "masterpiece".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This sounds great!!! Where can we sign up???
ReplyDeleteAffirming people is the best way to motivate and help others truly reach full potential. Take the trainers at Sea World and thier methods to get a killer whale to dance in the water. It is only done through positive consequince training. You don't want a killer whale mad at you or you might be dinner. I the same way humans respond to postive words and encouragement so naturally they want to do better to receive more affirmation.
This is a great effort by your school system! Have you seen the results you were expecting from this focus? Others maybe interested to know how it translates into overall performace (or employee output).
ReplyDelete